Sunday, May 18, 2008

Reflection

It was a "Sunday"; so many years ago when Mt. St Helens blew her top!
There are many memories of that date that some of our family members have.
It was a most frightful event that turned into a time of family togetherness, food storage meals, cleanup, Uncle Vor and Aunt Maggie, and Freddie (their pooch and Curtis and Peggy home for a visit.
We played games, baked bread and had Home made Chicken Noodle soup.
We were so well prepared, that when the Firemen came to assess our needs, we had none.
I think we did have them pick up an extra package of disposable diapers, just in case we had to be confined longer than a week.
I realize that we were very blessed, and I would like to think that it was as least partly because of "obedience".
Today is Sunday, May 18th 2008.
We are soon leaving for church, just as we did that day. And pray that History does not repeat itself on this day. However I cherish the testimony of Prayer that I was allowed to have strengthened that day. Adversity can truly be an amazing teacher.
Love You All

5 comments:

Lisa Clift said...

I have great memories of that day and the days that followed. To a young child it was all so exciting and not very scarey, but what do kids know. :0) Maybe that's why I don't like Homemade Chicken Soup to this day. HMMMMM.

Byron and Tara said...

All this time I thought Lisa was PERFECT. Then a couple of years ago I relized she did not like homemade chicken noddle soup (which is one of my all time favs) and I have to say I think my opinion has changed a little:)

Spiralmoon Studio said...

I have memories that will last a lifetime of that day - especially of the very special and intimate time spent w/ Mama as we two alone traveled - tentatively, but with faith - down I-90 from Spokane to Sprague WA and to the safety of our dear friend/brother Russ Keevy's little mobile home! I love you Mom!

JayJay

Margo Clift said...

How wonderful that one experience can evoke so many feelings in so many.
I Love you all!

Chrisstamom said...

What a GREAT week! As a kid I remember watching the black cloud move across the sky toward us. I remeber getting home from church and having Aunt Maggie and Uncle Var there. I don't remember being scared. But I knew it was serious because Dad turned the TV on on a Sunday afternoon. I remember that it was so dark that we couldn't see the street light in front of our house. I remember the rabbits needed to be protected. I remeber waking up the next morning wonder how it could have snowed if it wasn't cold outside. I remember hours of Scrabble, Yahtzee, homemade bread and noodles, Curtis and Joe shoveling ash off the roof, wearing surgical masks, playing in the gym at the middle school. I remember that we didn't go back to school that year. But I don't remember if JayLene had a High School Graduation??? For me, all I remember is hours and hours of family fun. Good times!